Insurance for Forest School
All Forest School activity must be carried out with the appropriate insurance in place. Insurance continues to be an issue for many members.
Members have had success through O Driscoll O Neil insurance brokers at http://www.odon.ie/. BHP insurance provide cover for IFSA. Kidd Insurance and Campions and http://www.ccc3.co.uk/ have also provided insurance to some of our members.
In 2022, IFSA became members of BGi.eu, offering bespoke insurance solutions for the Health & Wellbeing sector, currently encompassing 1,500+ varying activities/therapies – this will enable more of our members to access reasonably priced insurance and access a small discount.
- Public and Product Liability with an indemnity of €5,000,000 (or €10,000,000 extension). Consider availing of the €10,000,000 extension as Irish landowners and local authorities often require €6,5000,000 indemnity cover. Letters of Indemnity are available from BGi upon request.
- Employers Liability can be added upon request (if you have volunteers or subcontractors you need the EL extension. If you work with a FS leader who is leading part of the session they must have their own PL insurance.)
- Malpractice and Professional Indemnity of €5,000,000 (or €10,000,000 if required)
- Accidental loss or damage to business stock and equipment up to €5,000
- Additional Legal Expenses: €100,000 This service also allows access to a 24/7 legal advice helpline (UK and Ireland only)
- 12 months run off cover to allow for periods when you are not working
- Retro-active date: 2006 or, if later, since the date Medical Malpractice/Liability Insurance has been running, without a break or interruption
- Working from home, a client’s home, or at any owned, rented or hired premises
- Accidental damage to hired venues
- Indemnity to Principal
- Member to Member Liability included
You can apply for a quote through the IFSA affiliate members’ LINK.
To become a member of IFSA, see here.
BGi may request to see your FS qualification certificate at any time. Practitioners will be asked to submit their qualifications should a claim arise. BGi will take new business/trainees as long as you have all risk assessments and policies and procedures required before running your six Pilot sessions including:
- Garda vetting
- Current Children’s First Child Protection E-Learning programme certificate
- Current outdoor first aid
- Policies and procedures and risk benefit assessments required to practice as a FS leader
BGi.eu are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Tel: 048 9590 7070
An Taisce Green Schools
CRANN Trees for Ireland
Native Woodland Trust
Leave No Trace
Field Studies Ireland
Heritage in Schools
Forest School Association (England)
Children and Natural Alliance of Canada
Outdoor & Woodland Learning in Scotland (OWL)
Lasmuigh – the professional practice journal for the Outdoor Sector on the Island of Ireland